The CIBC Advantage Debit Card is accepted by most U.S. and international online, telephone and mail order retailers that accept Visa1 cards. Just select "Visa" or "Visa Debit" as the card type and/or "Credit" as the payment method and follow the prompts to provide your card details.
Currently, CIBC Advantage Debit Card acceptance in Canada for online, telephone and mail order purchases is limited to participating retailersOpens a new tab in your browser. and this list continues to grow.
Follow these simple steps when shopping with your CIBC Advantage Debit Card online, by phone or by mail:
- Choose Visa or Visa Debit as the card type.
- Provide your card number and expiry date located on the front of your CIBC Advantage Debit Card.
- As an additional security measure, some online retailers may require the three-digit security code on the back of your card.
Important: The three-digit security code is not your PIN. Never disclose your PIN to anyone.
- At times, you may be asked for the cardholder name as shown on the front of the card.
Tip: If your card does not have a name on the front, use your legal first and last name.
- Provide your billing address and other information as required.
- Obtain payment information.
Important: When you use your CIBC Advantage Debit Card to conduct Advance Payment transactions, including reserving goods and/or services such as hotel reservations or car rentals, funds for payment of that transaction may be debited immediately from your account by the merchant. You are, in effect, making an advance payment for a service to be used in the future, so the funds will be debited from your account at the time you make the reservation. Because the amount you pay to book the reservation upfront or at check-in (i.e. a deposit) may be different from the final purchase amount, you may wish to make the reservation with a credit card until you know what the final payment amount will be, at which time you may use your CIBC Advantage Debit Card to pay for the transaction directly from your account.