Accessibility Quick Links
Why choose a CIBC Variable Rate GIC?
Low minimum investment
How much interest will you earn?
Posted rate: RDS%rate.VRGIC.Published(1_null_null_Year_T,1000.0_-_24999.99_CAD_Balance,21,1)(#O2#)%
Term and rate
|1 year||RDS%rate.VRGIC.Published(1_null_null_Year_T,1000.0_-_24999.99_CAD_Balance,21,1)(#O2#)% + %rate.VRGIC.Published(1_null_null_Year_T,1000.0_-_24999.99_CAD_Balance,17,1)(#O2#)%
For posted rates, go to GIC rates.
What you need to know
Access your money at any time. If you cash out early, there's a minimum withdrawal amount based on how much you invested
- The rate is linked to the CIBC Prime Rate, and will change one day after the CIBC Prime Rate changes
- Simple interest is calculated and paid at maturity
- If you cash out in the first 29 days, you're not paid interest
- If you cash out after 29 days, you're paid full interest up to the day you withdraw your money
You can automatically renew your GIC when it matures4 or deposit your principal and interest into your bank account
How to invest in a CIBC Variable Rate GIC
What you need to get started
• Your Social Insurance Number
• You must be living in Canada
• A CIBC personal bank account to fund your GIC
Need an account? Apply for a bank account
• You must be registered for Online and Mobile Banking
Need to register? Register for Online and Mobile Banking
Fill out the application
Applying online only takes about 5 minutes. Want us to guide you through the application? Call us or visit a CIBC Banking Centre. If you're already a client, you'll spend less time applying.5
Review the details online
Keep tabs on your GIC using CIBC Online Banking®. Check your maturity date, interest rate, deposit amount and more at any time.
Explore our most popular products and discover a GIC that’s right for you. Our GIC calculator can help you select a product and show your expected returns.