Get the student advantage
CIBC Advantage® for Students
- No monthly fee and unlimited transactions1 on your CIBC Everyday® Chequing Account
Tailored to your student budget
What you get:
- Unlimited transactions1 and no monthly fee
- Free paperless record-keeping2
- Debit purchases across Canada using the INTERAC network®1
- Debit purchases outside Canada, and online, by phone or by mail with a CIBC Advantage Debit Card® using the Visa network
- 24-hour account access through CIBC branches, bank machines, and telephone, online, and mobile banking
How you get it:
- Provide proof of enrolment in a full-time post-secondary program (college, university or CEGEP)
- International students can qualify for this offer by showing their student ID, foreign passport and study permit (IMM 1442)
- This offer lasts up to a maximum of 4 years from your program enrolment date (based on expected graduation date or program length). To extend, you must re-apply with proof of continued enrolment
Plus, with the CIBC Express Switch® Service3, it's easy to transfer your pre-authorized transactions and/or account balance from another bank to CIBC.
Rates & Fees
- Withdrawals (including ATM)
- Pre-authorized payments
- Bill payments (including CIBC Credit Cards and CIBC Personal Lines of Credit)
- Debit purchases
|Sending INTERAC e-Transfer®||$1.50 each + transaction fee, if applicable|
|Receiving INTERAC e-Transfer||Free|
|Non-CIBC bank machine withdrawal||$1.50 each + transaction fee, if applicable|
|Interim statement||$4.50 each|
|Bankbook record keeping||$2.00/month|
|Paperless record keeping2||Free|
Personal Account Service Fees (260 KB)
Better ways to bank with CIBC
Bank when you like - we're open longer at many of our 1,100+ branches
One of the largest bank machine networks in Canada for quick and easy access to your cash
Total Student Solutions
Visit Student Life for our latest offers, scholarships, advice and more
More great deals for students
Short of cash? We’ve got you covered
You can also add CIBC Overdraft Protection Service to this account, which covers you against temporary cash shortages.
A student travel card with no income requirement
Earn Aventura points with the CIBC Aventura® Visa™ Card for Students and get your travel plans off the ground sooner.Learn more
Enter your question in sentence form, e.g.: How do I open a bank account?See the Top 10 Most-Asked Questions
Terms and Conditions
Products and their features may change at any time.
This is a general description only. Get complete information about fees here.
1 A transaction includes cheques, withdrawals, transfers, pre-authorized payments, bill payments (including CIBC Credit Cards and CIBC Personal Lines of Credit) and debit purchases. For CIBC eAdvantage Savings Accounts, a transaction does not include online transfers to your other CIBC personal bank account(s) using the transfer function on CIBC Online and Mobile Banking. Additional fee(s) apply to withdrawals from non-CIBC bank machines, INTERAC e-Transfer™ transactions and cheques written in currencies other than the account currency. These fees apply to all customers, including CIBC Advantage for Youth, CIBC Advantage for Students and CIBC 60 Plus Advantage customers.…
2 “Paperless” record keeping is a paper-free alternative to statements and bankbooks. This option enables customers to track account activity online or by phone or CIBC bank machine. Please note, no printed statements will be sent to customers selecting this option. Customers must review their account transactions through CIBC Online or Mobile Banking, CIBC Telephone Banking or CIBC bank machines at least once every 30 days and examine all entries and balances at that time. If there are any errors, omissions or irregularities, customers must notify CIBC in writing within 60 days after the date on which the entry was, or should have been, posted to the account. Banking activity that occurred prior to Online Banking registration will not be available in the Online or Mobile Banking transaction history.
3 CIBC Express Switch is available only when an account is opened in a branch or by CIBC Telephone Banking. If you wish to use this service, your account at another bank must be a traditional branch-based personal bank account from which CIBC Express Switch can transfer pre-authorized transactions and/or account balances. Eligibility may change from time to time and some pre-authorized transactions may not qualify for the switch.