Graduating from High School
Your high school years are coming to a close. Diplomas will be handed out soon but you're still not sure what you're going to do? Don't despair, you have many options. Here are just a few ideas to think about.
- If you're interested in a concentrated field of study, like nursing or business management, you may want to pick up a few college brochures.
- Colleges offer a lot of hands-on, practical training. Some have co-op and internship positions that give you real skills to help score a good job.
- There are a ton of universities to choose from, each in diverse areas of the country, with their own specialized programs for engineering, literature, social work or humanities etc.
- You can choose a specific field, like mechanical engineering, or try a bunch of fields of study by pursuing a general Bachelor degree in Arts or Science.
- Want to be a hairstylist, aesthetician, graphic designer or electrician? There are numerous arts and trade schools that will give you knowledge and skills in a variety of areas.
- Trade and arts schools will give you practical hands-on training for a future career.
- You can find work by searching the classified ads of any local newspaper or searching on the Web using numerous job banks.
- HRDC has thousands of employment centres across the country and the staff can help you build your resumé, work on interviewing skills and even assist you with your job hunt.
- By obtaining a student visa you may even be able to work for a limited period of time in the countries you visit.
- To apply for a student visa, visit or call the consulate in the country you are planning to travel to. Most visas take at least two weeks to process.
Links to Guide You
College Search Engine
Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
Universities, Colleges and Trade Schools
College Search Engine - Trade Schools
Canadian Automotive and Trucking Institute
Canadian College of Massage and Hydrotherapy
Government of Canada - Youth Employment Information
Government of Canada - Jobs.gc.ca
HRDC Job Bank
Work Infonet - Sponsored by HRDC
CanJob - Canadian Job Search
ISIC card and travel site
Consular Affairs Bureau
Cross Cultural Solutions