Accessibility Quick Links
Information on Unclaimed Assets with CIBC Subsidiaries
Unclaimed Assets with CIBC Subsidiaries
The provinces of Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba passed legislation that requires certain subsidiaries of CIBC that hold unclaimed assets where the current or last known address of the owner is in either Quebec, Alberta, BC, or Manitoba to make reasonable efforts to contact clients and to allow owners to locate their unclaimed assets. New Brunswick also passed legislation, the Unclaimed Property Act, which received Royal Assent on March 17, 2020, and will be proclaimed and come in force with the adoption of the associated rules.
Which CIBC Subsidiaries are covered by the legislation?
The unclaimed property legislations apply to certain subsidiaries of CIBC, including CIBC Securities Inc., CIBC Investor Services Inc., the CIBC Wood Gundy division of CIBC World Markets Inc., CIBC Trust Corporation* and other CIBC subsidiaries, as applicable.
What is an unclaimed asset?
Cash, securities (i.e. stocks, bonds, mutual funds) or other receivables held in client accounts with certain CIBC subsidiaries will be deemed to be unclaimed assets if certain time periods set out in the provincial legislation expire.
Where to go for more information:
Residents of Quebec
- For information on how to make a claim or an appeal against an unclaimed asset, Quebec residents should contact Revenu Québec directly at 1-866-840-6939 or visit Revenu Québec - Unclaimed property Opens in a new window..
- The applicable Quebec legislation is known as the Unclaimed Property Act.
Residents of Alberta
- For information on how to make a claim or an appeal against an unclaimed asset, Alberta residents should contact the Alberta Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) directly at 780-427-3044; (for toll-free service, call 310-0000 then enter 780-427-3044) or visit Unclaimed Property Alberta Opens in a new window.
- The applicable Alberta legislation is known as the Alberta Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act and Regulation.
Residents of British Columbia
- For general inquiries, or to make a claim or appeal against an unclaimed asset, B.C. residents may contact BC Unclaimed Property Society at 604-662-3518 or toll free at 1-888-662-2877. Alternatively, visit Unclaimed Property BC Opens in a new window.
- The applicable B.C. legislation is known as the Unclaimed Property Act.
- As well, residents of Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia, and Manitoba may contact their account provider (i.e. their broker, investment dealer, trust company or mutual fund dealer) for information with respect to unclaimed assets as follows:
Residents of Other Provinces
- Clients resident in other provinces or territories should contact their account provider (their broker, investment dealer, trust company or mutual fund dealer).