Information on Unclaimed Assets with CIBC Subsidiaries
Unclaimed Assets with CIBC Subsidiaries
The provinces of Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba passed legislation that requires certain subsidiaries of CIBC that hold unclaimed assets where the current or last known address of the owner is in either Quebec, Alberta, BC, or Manitoba to make reasonable efforts to contact clients and to allow owners to locate their unclaimed assets.
Which CIBC Subsidiaries are covered by the legislation?
The Quebec, Alberta, BC and Manitoba legislation applies to certain subsidiaries of CIBC, including CIBC Securities Inc., CIBC Investor Services Inc., the CIBC Wood Gundy division of CIBC World Markets Inc., CIBC Trust Corporation* and other CIBC subsidiaries, as applicable.
What is an unclaimed asset?
Cash, securities (i.e. stocks, bonds, mutual funds) or other receivables held in client accounts with certain CIBC subsidiaries will be deemed to be unclaimed assets if certain time periods set out in the provincial legislation expire.
Where to go for more information:
Residents of Quebec
- For information on how to make a claim or an appeal against an unclaimed asset, Quebec residents should contact Revenu Québec directly at 1-866-840-6939 or visit Revenu Québec - Unclaimed property
- The applicable Quebec legislation is known as the Public Curator Act
Residents of Alberta
- For information on how to make a claim or an appeal against an unclaimed asset, Alberta residents should contact the Alberta Finance, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) directly at 780-427-3044 (for toll-free service in Alberta, call 310-0000; then enter 780-427-3044) or visit http://www.finance.alberta.ca/business/unclaimed_property/index.html
- The applicable legislation is known as the Alberta Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act and Regulation. Both were enacted on September 1, 2008.
Residents of British Columbia
- For information about unclaimed assets held in investment and mutual fund accounts or an interest in an estate or trust, B.C. residents may contact the British Columbia Unclaimed Property Society at 1-888-662-2877 or http://www.unclaimedpropertybc.ca/
- As well, for information with respect to unclaimed assets, or to make a claim or appeal against an unclaimed asset, B.C. residents may contact their account provider (i.e. their broker, investment dealer, trust company or mutual fund dealer) as follows: