Property insurance (also called home insurance)

During your mortgage term, you need property insurance on your home. The lender must be named on the policy. Property insurance covers the replacement cost of the home in case of fire, windstorms or other disasters. The lender needs proof of property insurance before releasing the mortgage funds.