Corporate social responsibility is an important strategic focus for our Bank. We are serious about responding to the needs of the communities we serve and are committed to giving back to our Caribbean brothers and sisters in tangible ways.
Since 2002, the bank has allocated substantial funding to worthwhile causes in the Caribbean region. Indeed, each year there is additional demand for funds for community relations causes for community-related causes across our footprint. Through it all, we have been backed by world-class employees who have given their all to ensure that the needs of recipients for each cause are met.
This is one of the main reasons why we established the FirstCaribbean Foundation. It is the governing body for our Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives. Through the Foundation, we ensure that 1% of the Bank's profits reaches important causes, which contribute to the social health of the Caribbean.
At CIBC FirstCaribbean, our span of giving is wide and varied. From supporting the community efforts of hurricane distressed countries to helping our neighbourhood schools, we believe we have helped advance the quality of life of Caribbean people.
Our initiatives exemplify that we are all one CIBC FirstCaribbean family.
CIBC FirstCaribbean International Bank is proud of the decision we made within one year of our Bank's birth back in 2003-to give back one percent of our prior year profits to our communities.
To further our mission of being "First for Communities" in countries which we operate, we also formed the FirstCaribbean Foundation.
Through the Foundation, our Bank has given money, time and other resources to several causes - from education and healthcare, to disaster relief and sports.Social Annual Reports
- CIBC FirstCaribbean Social Annual Report 2018 (6.31 MB)
- CIBC FirstCaribbean Social Annual Report 2017 (1.6 MB)
At CIBC FirstCaribbean, our giving covers four main themes.
- Health and Wellness - CIBC FirstCaribbean supports all efforts to raise the public's awareness of all types of cancer, including early detection, treatment and the urgent need for a permanent cure. Our Walk for the Cure event, inaugurated in 2012 is held around the same time as our parent company, CIBC's Run for the Cure. We encourage our employees, friends and families, to join together for one cause - to bring attention to the fight against cancer.
- Staff Volunteerism - For CIBC FirstCaribbean staff volunteerism is an imperative. Many projects undertaken are identified by our community leaders and our staff and are completed with love and dedication by those who have given of their personal time and labour to ensure success. Our enduring Adopt-A-Cause programme is testament to the ability of our employees to keep their fingers on the pulse of the community they serve.
- Youth and Education - Empowerment of the youth continues to be a priority for CIBC FirstCaribbean. The bank provides support to the Caribbean Group of Youth Business programmes - "CYBP" - and Junior Achievement International. Start up funding for micro-businesses and funding for business-related projects in Caribbean schools are key features of these programmes. The bank also maintains a longstanding Memorandum of Understanding with the University of the West Indies and cooperates in areas such as scholarships, curriculum development, research, development of case writing and case analysis skills, and the development of facilities.
- Community/Environment – Our social programmes have made a difference in turning around the lives and day-to-day running of institutions that have asked for assistance and received our support, whether financial or through the volunteerism of staff.
Unsung Heroes – 2003-2013 – The Unsung Heroes programme was CIBC FirstCaribbean’s flagship corporate social responsibility programme for ten years. A significant amount of its resources were directed to the programme in recognition of the fact that many deserving causes and important projects missed out on financial and other support because people did not know they existed. The bank sought to bring attention to these causes and to hold as examples ordinary men and women who work in our community every day to help their fellow men and women. We salute these special men and women who gave and continue to give selflessly to ensure that the lives of the underprivileged and disadvantaged are made better.
Recommend a Cause
If there is a cause you'd like to recommend to us, please download our Recommend A Cause
form (107 KB), complete and send to: Internal Communications Department | CIBC FirstCaribbean | The Michael Mansoor Building, 1st Floor | Warrens, St. Michael | Barbados