The former site of the Halifax Banking Company at 1869 Upper Water Street is the original location of CIBC’s oldest branch. The Halifax Banking Company was founded in 1825 and merged with The Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1903. The building shown here is an 1812 landmark and is now part of the Historic Properties area downtown and the word “BANK” can still be seen above the public entrance to the building. The branch is now located at 1809 Barrington Street.
In 1912, The Canadian Bank of Commerce acquired the Eastern Townships Bank headquartered in Sherbrooke, Quebec and it became the basis for The Commerce’s branch network in southern Quebec. The Eastern Townships Bank head office building shown here was constructed in 1876, and now houses the Musée des beaux-arts de Sherbrooke.
In 1870, The Canadian Bank of Commerce opened a branch in Montreal - its first outside Ontario. This building shown here on rue Saint Jacques, the Bay Street of its day in Montreal, opened in 1909. Like many of the bank’s buildings, this was designed by the architectural firm of Darling and Pearson who sought to use only Canadian construction materials.
CIBC’s regional head office in Montreal, Québec opened with much fanfare in June 1962. It represented the bank’s confidence in the vitality of the city and in the economic progress of the province. Ten thousand people attended the opening festivities including several thousand in nearby Dominion Square who came to witness the ribbon-cutting ceremony and see the fireworks display.